Ok, it’s that time again… time for new years resolutions! I thought of a few the other day, and already I’ve been slacking on them. =( So hopefully by posting them online it will help keep me a little more honest and engaged in sticking to them! Here’s my “start” of my 2009 resolutions (may be updated):
- Health and Strength – daily
- Prayer Life – daily
- Time Management – daily
- House Shopping – weekly
- Learn Photography – weekly
- Learn Spanish – weekly
- Volunteer or Charity – weekly
I’ve broken down each of these “main goals” into finer details after the cut.
Going in order of priority, I feel my health is definitely the most important goal for me now and always. But Brian, aren’t you in great shape? Well yeah, basically, but not the shape I would LIKE to be in at age 27! I really want to work towards attaining the muscle mass I’ve wanted for years. Ideally, I’d like to gain at least 20 lbs of muscle by the end of the year. This goal breaks down to:
Health and Strength – daily
- Morning workout routine of pushups and situps
- To bed by 11pm with at least 7 hours of sleep nightly
- Gym 3x a week and Cardio 2-3x a week
- Eat large nutritious meals
- No more than 1 hour at a time on the computer
I think my prayer life has been slipping since I moved from California. In Monterey I was very much involved with my local parish and in the Knights of Columbus. I have been “church hopping” since I’ve arrived here and have not really committed to a parish yet, partially because I have not found one I truly feel will be best for me and also I’m not sure where I will be living at the end of this year — hopefully in a nice community with a great church. I want to recharge my faith and prayer life.
Prayer Life – daily
- Morning prayer and Evening prayer
- Weekly meditation and devout prayer
- Visit several KofC chapters to consider
Time management has really become a problem for me lately as I constantly feel as if I’ve over committed myself to too many things and cannot possibly get them all done. Also, I continue to take on new little projects that take cumulatively take up my entire day. I need to set strict time lines and my “to do” list each morning to keep goal oriented, especially if I’m to come close in reaching all of these goals for 2009.
Time Management – daily
- Follow printed schedule as time permits
- Prioritize tasks for the day
- Focus on a single task at a time
- Do the most important tasks first
We are currently in a “buyers market” when it comes to real estate right now, and I am in the market to buy a house! I need to seriously search out home deals, get smart on the process, and hopefully close on a house by June or September at the latest in order to collect my benefits.
House Shopping – weekly
- Search FranklyMLS.com, Zillow, and FSBO sites weekly
- Get a Buyer Agent and make an offer if possible
- In general, study and get smart on realestate
There are always so many things I want to learn and do all of the time (e.g. waltz, salsa and tango dancing, photoshop, wilderness survival skills, sailing, German, Italian, Latin, massage, electronics, etc)… so I simply had to pick some priorities. Two of the things I’ve logged to be more proficient at for years include my Spanish fluency and Photographic art. I intend to spend time at least once a week on learning these topics.
Learn Photography – weekly
- Instead of 365 project, do 1 photo a day for 52 weeks
- Post to photoblog and develop photodelux presence
- Actively participate in Camera Club competitions
- Learn a new Photoshop/Gimp technique and apply it once a week
Learn Spanish – weekly
- Subscribe to Spanish language podcasts and listen daily
- Complete at least one chapter from old text books every week
- or find a Spanish song and lyrics, translate and practice it for a week
I also feel a bit disconnected from my volunteer and charity work that I was very much involved in while living in Monterey. Being involved again with the church will help with this.
Volunteer or Charity – weekly
- Prepare meal for Homeless – monthly
- Serve my friends with charity
Ok, so that’s it… that’s some of my goals for 2009! I would sure “like” to accomplish them all, but even now, the task seems daunting… and I’m not even sure where I’m going to find the time to fit them all in! I’ll try though.